Find out how to register a marriage.
Use this service to register a marriage.
Before you start
You must give at least 29 days' notice for a marriage.
The earliest you can submit the form is 3 months before your wedding ceremony.
You need to fill in a MN10 form and make an appointment with a registrar to submit it.
Who can register a marriage?
Both partners must:
- be at least 16 years old when you register the marriage
- be not related to each other in a way which prevents a marriage
- be unmarried and not in a civil partnership
- provide documents to prove any previous marriage or civil partnership has ended legally
- understand the nature of a marriage ceremony and is able to consent to marriage
How to register
What happens next
You'll be given an appointment in which you need to bring along original documents. A list of the documents you'll need to bring is below.
If any documents are not in English, you must provide a certified translation. We don't accept copies.
For each partner
- Completed MN10 forms
- Birth certificate
- Proof of home address
You also need to give names and addresses of 2 witnesses who are at least 16 years old.
If you've been married before
You also need to bring these documents:
- Legal documents to prove any previous marriage or civil partnership has ended. For example, Decree absolute
- Death certificate if your previous spouse or partner has died
If you're subject to immigration control and not a member of the European Economic Area, you'll be asked for extra documents. We'll let you know this when you contact us.